CP Odumosu Analyze Security Architecture at LCCI 2021 Security Meets Business Dialogue Series in Lagos
Lagos State Commissioner of Police, CP Hakeem Odumosu participate and give keynote speech in the Lagos Chambers of Commerce and Industries 4th Edition, ‘2021 Security Meets Business Dialogue Series’, at the Commerce House, Victoria Island, in Lagos, today, Tuesday, September 7th, 2021.
The CP Odumosu, reiterated its commitment while outlining the security challenges and efforts of the state government to curb the menacing security challenges in the states since he assume the office as the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State.
The Police boss appraised the Lagos Chambers of Commerce and Industries, noting its establishment and strategic impacts towards the sustainable growth of commerce and industry in Lagos State and Nigeria as a whole.
The LCCI 2021 event series tagged ‘Security Meets Business”, is envisage to harmonize and improve the business and security relationship between the Government and Stakeholders in Trade and Industry in the state. This year series dialogue would catalyze better and more secured business platforms and environment for both local and foreign investors towards actualizing their business plans successfully in Lagos state and Nigeria.
CP Odumosu analyses its strategic security architectural solutions and challenges while admitting collaboration with other security agencies in the state to ensure the safety of lives, properties and business investment.
According to a statement made available to LagosspyNG correspondent by Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu;
“Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, you are not unaware of the general security challenges that are noticeable in Lagos which include armed robbery, cultism, robbery-in-traffic, gangsterism, land grabbing, cyber-crimes, and lately traffic gridlock. These security challenges are however not insurmountable as the Command has thrived hard in arresting perpetrators and curbing the challenges as required of us. In this regard, the Command, with its anti-crime strategies and the help of the general public, has recorded an appreciable number of achievements from January, 2021 till date.” CP Odumosu said.
The achievements recorded across the state in the period under review are as follows:
SUMMARY OF ACHIEVEMENTS FROM 1ST JANUARY, 2021 TILL DATE
BY LAGOS STATE POLICE COMMAND, IKEJA.
In summary, between January 2021 till date; the Command arrested four hundred and ninety-three (493) armed robbers (including traffic robbers), three hundred and ninety-seven (397) cultists and one hundred and eighty six (186) suspects for murder cases. In the same vein, one hundred and sixty robbery (160) incidents perpetrated by the hoodlums were foiled, while six (6) residential robberies were successful but no life lost in any of these. In addition, the Command was able to recover forty (40) stolen vehicles: ninety-eight (98) arms and two hundred and forty-three (243) various calibers of ammunitions: eleven (11) dangerous weapons and some illicit drugs.
Other notable achievements recorded by the Command are as indicated below:-
i. CASE OF CONSPIRACY AND STEALING
On 12/03/2021, the Managing Director of LANCE Trend Ltd, an information technology, sales and services company, located at Ketu, discovered that, the Marketing Manager of the company, named Omotosho Olanrewaju stole computers and accessories valued at Forty-six(46) million naira and later absconded. The suspect was later tracked and arrested by the Police detectives in a house at Lekki where he was taking refuge. Parts of the stolen computers worth ten (10) million naira were recovered. Suspect has been arraigned in court.
ii. CASE OF CONSPIRACY AND ARMED ROBBERY
On 20/04/2021 at about 2120hrs the company driver of SIMS Nig. Ltd, while on transit to deliver some refrigerators and other company’s products was attacked by hoodlums at Toyota Bus Stop, along Oshodi/Mile
2 Expressway. Seven of the refrigerators were robbed. However,
concerted efforts of the Police detectives led to the arrest of five of the suspects and recovery of some of the refrigerators. The suspects have been charged to court.
iii CASE OF CONSPIRACY AND STEALING
On the 5/11/2021, two suspects namely Gabriel Arugba ‘m’ age 44yrs and Albert Agbor ‘m’ age 39yrs bought 285,000 liters of AGO product valued at Forty-Seven Million, Eight Hundred Thousand Naira (N47,800,000:00) from Eterna Oil and Gas Plc, located at No. 5A, Oba Ade Oyekan Avenue Ikoyi with a Bank Guarantee (BG) instrument as a collateral for the purchase and delivery. The BG was later discovered to be forged by the company. As soon as they were loaded with the products, the suspects disappeared and switched off their phones leaving no trace. The suspect with other cohorts were later tracked and arrested at Abuja, Jos, and Lagos. The suspects were later arraigned in court.
iv. ARREST OF BANK HACKERS TO THE TUNE OF N1.87 BILLION
On 02/08/2021, operatives of the SCID Panti Yaba, arrested one Salau Abdulmalik Femi ‘m’ age 38yrs. Christian, an IT expert and the kingpin of a syndicate that specializes in hacking into the server of banks and corporate agencies. The hacker, who displayed exemplary mastery of the cyber environment, was arrested after he hacked the Flex-Cube Universal Banking System (FCUBS) of a First – Generation Bank. Using application software, he created fictitious credits totaling one billion, eight hundred sixty-eight million, nine hundred thousand naira (N1,868,900,000:00) on the accounts of three (3) of the banks customers to other banks. Items recovered from the suspect includes; two (2) laptops (MSIGS75 & Allen Ware 17), one (1) Nigeria passport, ZTE Modem, and iPhone. The case has since been transferred to special fraud unit of the Police.
The CP further noted that it is pertinent to inform the gathering that, the ugly incident of the violent 2020 #ENDSARS protest actually exposed the crop of miscreants who have found their ways into Lagos and threaten the security of the State. This is why the Command has been raiding them in hundreds and charging them to court. With the accelerated moves of the Command and partnering with the judiciary in Lagos State, we are flushing them out of the circulation and keeping them where the law prescribes. This is a continuous process that would be sustained to keep Lagos safe.
While highlighting the menaces being perpetrated by Okada operators to aid crimes and criminality in the State as being worrisome.
The Command has briefed the State Government on this trend with a view to arresting the situation and making the State safe.
I am not unaware of the efforts of the State Government to curb this. As a result, the recalcitrant criminally minded riders are daily being dealt with according to the law by the Command. Their operations within central business districts, banks and other business environments are daily being curtailed.
So far, three thousand, seven hundred (3,700) motorcycles have been impounded and crushed in line with the order of the court within this period.
CP Odumosu also acknowledged heavy traffic in major areas in the state which is quoted to be due to series of ongoing road rehabilitation/construction across the State, hence the hoodlums sometimes capitalize on the gridlock occasioned by the road reconstructions to attack motorists at peak time.
The Police boss announced that the command is not overwhelmed by the traffic robbery which is caused by bad roads while noting that both the Federal and State Ministry of Works and Transport and the contractors handling some of the projects have been engaged to shift the road work to less traffic peak periods, particularly, at night time while the Police provide adequate security coverage for them.
The Local Governments Chairmen, Landlords and the Community Development Association Leaders have been implored to always keep their street gates open so as to serve as alternative routes for diversion of traffic. These measures have gone a long way to alleviating the traffic challenges and enhance the movement of people while carrying out their daily business and commercial activities across the State.
It also reiterate the ripple effect of drug abuse and misuse on the general security trend of Nigeria and specifically in Lagos State as the Command was able to recover illicit and dangerous drugs of various kinds, in multiples, during its operations in some areas of the State.
Based on constant interviews and investigations, the command often discovered that, some of the arrested miscreants become hyperactive and engage in criminal activities which are triggered by drug abuse and misuse.
These are being thoroughly tackled in all ramifications. The suspects and the exhibits so far recovered have been handed over to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for necessary action. This is the practicability of synergy between our agencies. To curb this trend, the Command has commenced sensitization of the public, particularly, the youths on the dangers inherent in drug abuse.
The CP also explained that the spate of bank robbery which use to ravage the state in the past, have reduced drastically during his administration in the command, as there has not been record of any bank robbery, neither life of staff or customer of business community has been lost to bank robbery in Lagos State.
The Command has critically examined the security challenges in Lagos State and proffered possible solutions that are crucial to sustainable security, public safety and economic growth in Lagos State. They include but not limited to:
1. The formal and informal security structures of the State are being strengthened. That is, the State Government (Police and Other Statutory Security Agencies) and other neighborhood security units in the State always collaborate to fight our common enemies with a view to promoting peaceful and conducive business environment in the State.
2. The Lagos State Government continuous supports to all its security apparatus is being solicited by the Command. This will continue to encourage them to discharge their duties even beyond expectations.
3. Stakeholders in business cycle are advised to key into the DAWN (Development Agenda for Western Nigeria) which has designed robust action plans for the States in the south-west to promote security and development including night economy so as to promote the general economy of the region. This agenda could be considered by other regions in Nigeria too.
4. Use of private guards and registered security operatives to complement the police and other formal security agencies are being encouraged by the Command. You are implored to take the free service rendered by the Police, to take your employees to any Police Division or Area Command where your business entity is domiciled to enable them profile such staff for record purposes. This will serve as deterrent to commit crimes and/or make it possible to track them down when crime is committed.
5. Involvement of private firms and individuals/experts in promoting security via donations and provision of logistics to assist the Government and its agencies is necessary at this time.
6. LCCI and other commercial agencies/institutions to collaborate with relevant established security and anti-graft bodies to project policies and enforce the laws to protect business in Nigeria, and Lagos State in particular.
7. LCCI and others concerned with businesses are to partner service providers and delegated agencies to curb cyber- crimes and frauds at all cost.
8. LCCI should constantly organize dialogue series of this kind and embark on regular enlightenment programmes for their members and concerned partners in the area of security. This should be done at least twice in a year, if not quarterly, as against current time of once in a year. This, if periodically carried out, will always bring in current/fresh ideas in tandem with occurrences as crime pattern changes.
9. Another strategy being implemented by the Command is security summit that is organized from Area Command to Area Command. This always have in attendance business moguls stakeholder, traditional rulers, Governments officials etc. in the divisions in the Area Commanders area of responsibilities. Security and business related issues were discussed, dissected and solutions proffered. This has gone a long way in satisfying business/company promoters and stabilized and saved their business. The Command shall extend its invitation to the LCCI whenever it is the turn of Lagos Island/Victoria Island/Ikoyi security summit.
10. LCCI to share security tips and distress call lines with their staffers and business partners in order to fortify synergy among them and security operatives/systems. (Find attached copy of regular security tips for your action).
The Commissioner of Police, Odumosu concluded with special appreciation to the Lagos State Governor Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba while appealing to all and sundry in Lagos State to collaborate with the police and other security operatives in their continuous efforts in curbing crimes and criminality in the State.